WHO ARE WE
We are working to build a constituency of people-to-people formations in pursuit of grassroots empowerment economic justice, democratic development and gender equity for a just and peaceful Liberia.
Development Education Network-Liberia (DEN-L) is a national non-governmental, non-partisan, and non-profit organization.
Also an offshoot of the work of the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS), an organization within the Catholic Church. JRS supported the work of Sr. Miriam Therese O’Brien (a Catholic Sister from Ireland) in Liberia through the Catholic Diocese of Gbarnga based on the request of Bishop Benedict D. Sekey.
Sr. Miriam initially worked with a team of Liberians to run Development Education and Leadership Teams in Action (DELTA) training with lay people in the Diocese to increase local people’s involvement in the development of the church.
We are working to build a constituency of people-to-people formations in pursuit of grassroots empowerment, economic justice, democratic development and gender equity for a just and peaceful Liberia.
We envision a Liberia at peace with itself and its neighbours
GOALS AND BELIEFS
- To build a peaceful Liberia by creating an empowered society;
- To increase women’s access to fair justice, civic participation, and economic justice;
- To create a forum for engaging the supply side of transformation from an informed and knowledge-based position; and
- To respond to the challenges of reconstruction by providing opportunities in essential life-sustaining areas.
- The lives of all human beings are of equal values;
Unequal distribution of resources and all forms of oppression are a source of conflict;
- The way life is for the poor is not the only way it can be; it can be better;
- If we work together with the world’s poor to change unjust policies, structures, and practices at all levels they can take control of their own lives.
OUR PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
Transparency is the core of our transactions within the organization and with others through effective participation at all levels. We wish to be authentic and honest on all our transactions, and share our experiences and learning.
We work with others to spread knowledge and best practices that maximize impact of development actions, while upholding innovations, creativity and diversity in pursuit of our mission
We are accountable to the poor and marginalized people whose interest we represent, to our board and partners in operation, and to our supporters that make our work easy
We uphold equity and justice, requiring us to work and ensure that everyone everywhere has the opportunity for utilizing their potential and secure lasting
We will build local capacities and work with others to achieve many more successes which together make a substantial difference on the daily lives of our beneficiaries and partners.